There’s nothing quite like starting the day with a nourishing bowl of porridge on a cold morning. This nutrient rich quinoa porridge is so flavoursome, especially when paired with our blueberry or raspberry coulis. The blueberry coulis is made exactly the same way, simply changing the type of berries used. We also recommend serving with peanut butter for a protein hit, but mostly because it’s delicious. As a nut free alternative, tahini is a great porridge topper.
What makes quinoa so healthy?
Quinoa is not actually a grain, as commonly believed, but rather, a small seed that serves as an excellent alternative to grains such as wheat. It is very versatile, absorbing flavours of foods and spices added, it is quick to cook and economical. The texture, when cooked, is similar to cous cous, so can be easily substituted to create a gluten free dish.
Some of the health benefits include:
- Excellent protein profile, being around 17% and containing all essential amino acids
- High in fibre
- Low on glycaemic index, assisting with blood sugar regulation
- Low fat content, consisting of omega 3 and omega 6
- Gluten free
- Mineral rich (containing good sources of calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, sodium and zinc)
Gut health & digestion, high protein & high fibre
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
3/4 cup coconut milk (or coconut water), add more according to desired consistency
1 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 serve blueberry coulis (*Replace raspberries with blueberries)
- Firstly, prepare blueberry coulis (refer to recipe in basics).
- Combine all porridge ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring regularly for approx. 5 minutes. Add additional coconut water or milk of required.
- Spoon into a bowl and top with blueberry coulis, peanut butter, hazelnuts and/or mixed seeds.
If you love this quinoa porridge recipe we highly recommend you try our warming apple & cinnamon oats next! Not only are these oats delicious but they are also packed with nutrients. Cinnamon is a delicious and warming spice that also helps to regulate blood sugar and apple adds natural sweetness. We have also added superfood lucuma powder which creates a creamy texture and enhances nutrient profile.