This nourishing porridge recipe is perfect on a cool Winter’s morning.
Not only are these apple and cinnamon oats delicious but they are also packed with nutrients. Cinnamon is a delicious and warming spice that also helps to regulate blood sugar and apple adds natural sweetness. We have also added superfood lucuma powder which creates a creamy texture and enhances nutrient profile.
If you’re a little time poor, you can buy organic apple puree from health food stores and select supermarkets to add to your oats. We recommend checking the packaging to ensure it does not contain any added sugar. Alternatively, you can stew the apples in advance of making this recipe.
3 organic apples
1 cinnamon stick (or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon)
1 cup organic oats
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
2 cups coconut milk or coconut water
1 tbsp lucuma powder, optional
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder
Almond butter, cinnamon and activated pecans (to serve)
- Peel and slice apples and place in a saucepan with 1/4 cup filtered water and 1 cinnamon stick (or a sprinkle of ground cinnamon).
- Bring to a boil and simmer/steam for approx. 10 minutes or until soft.
- Meanwhile combine all remaining ingredients for the oats in a large saucepan and cook for 10-15 minutes (this will vary depending on what type of oats you use).
- Add stewed apples to the porridge and stir for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to bowls and top with extra cinnamon, fresh apple, almond butter and/or chopped nuts.