After you taste this we are confident you will no longer be adding refined sugar to your coulis! The great thing about making raspberry coulis is that it goes with so many things… We love serving it with desserts, our coconut and raspberry pancakes or our superfood breakfast parfaits.
It is so easy to make and requires minimal ingredients so is also much more economical. We really believe that it is worth making your own for that added freshness and peace of mind, knowing exactly what is going into your food and avoiding any unnecessary processing.
Makes approx. 1 cup
1 cup organic frozen raspberries
Juice of 1/2 an orange
1 tbsp raw organic honey
1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and place on medium heat.
- Leave on heat for approx. 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Voila! It’s that simple.
What are some of the health benefits of raspberries?
Raspberries, especially when organically grown and fully ripe, are a rich source of antioxidants, qualifying them as a ‘superfood’. In addition to many benefits of high antioxidant, anti-inflammatory foods, including reducing the risk of chronic diseases such as cancer, as described in other posts, nutritional profile and recent research suggests the following health promoting features:
- Assists blood sugar regulation due to specific compounds in raspberries, rheosmin (also known as raspberry ketone) and tiliroside. Recent research has also suggested that these compounds increase metabolism in fat cells, potentially reducing absorption and deposition of fat
- Excellent source of Vitamin C, for connective tissue health, wound healing and immunity
- Good source of fibre
- Excellent source of trace mineral manganese, as well as source of other minerals including copper, magnesium and potassium
- Source of Vitamin B5, B9, E, K and biotin
- Source of omega-3 fatty acids
We have more detailed information about why it is so important, and which foods are most important to buy organic in our ebook, Healthy Habits.