Spelt pita bread is a great accompaniment to a Mediterranean inspired lunch or dinner. It is easy to make, contains minimal ingredients and is lower in gluten than traditional store-bought pita.
SPELT PITA BREAD recipe
1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tsp granulated yeast
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Then add olive oil and warm water, mix until well combined.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes or until elastic.
- Return the dough to mixing bowl, cover and place in the fridge for approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Divide the mixture into 4 small balls.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll each pita flat (add a little extra flour to the rolling board if the mixture starts to stick).
- Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes (we bake two at a time).
- To grill, place in a griddle for approx. 1 minute.
- Serve warm with your choice of dip, falafel, grilled halloumi and/or tabouli.