Fudgey, rich chocolate beetroot brownies. Decadent and delicious!
These brownies were made using our favourite Alter Eco ‘Super Blackout‘ Dark Chocolate. It is 90% cacao yet still has that smooth and creamy texture that dark chocolate often lacks.
We recommend serving with coconut yoghurt and an extra drizzle of melted dark choc.
Health benefits of cacao?
Cacao is actually raw chocolate, made by drying Cacao Theobroma beans at low temperatures. The better known product, cocoa, has been through a number of processes, including roasting at high temperatures, before sugar is added to create the chocolate bar, which often contain less than 40% cocoa solids.
The ‘superfood’ status of raw cacao is due largely to its exceptional anti-oxidant rating, meaning it has high propensity to reduce free radicals, thereby protecting cell membranes, reducing inflammation and slowing aging, amongst other benefits.
Cacao also contains substances including anandamide and phenylethylamines, which may improve concentration and are reported to have mood lifting properties, which may be further augmented by the presence of the amino acid, Tryptophan, the precursor to mood stabilising neurotransmitter, serotonin. Other nutrients in cacao include magnesium, essential for cardio-vascular health and energy production; and calcium, required for healthy bones.
Health benefits of beetroot?
The pigment in beetroot provides important anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds, thereby providing protection against chronic diseases such as cancer and heart disease.
Beetroots are low in calories and fat, containing a number of nutrients with particularly good sources of Folate (Vitamin B9) and manganese. Folate is essential for pregnant women to help prevent birth defects, whilst manganese is a trace mineral that has a critical role in nervous system and brain health, hormone production, bone/connective tissue health, and endogenous anti-oxidant production. Additionally, beetroots are known for their role in detoxification processes in the liver.
350 grams beetroot (3 small beetroots)
1 cup almond meal
1/4 cup flaxseed meal
2 tbsp mesquite powder (optional)
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean powder
150 grams Alter Eco ‘Super Blackout‘ Dark Chocolate
1/2 cup coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Remove stalks from beetroot and arrange whole beetroots on a lined baking dish. Brush with 1 tbsp melted coconut oil and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly. Peel and chop cooked beetroots, then transfer to a blender. Blend for 1 minute (it will have a slightly chunky texture).
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt Alter Eco chocolate and remaining coconut oil using a double boiler.
- Add melted chocolate and blended beetroot to the dry mixture, stir.
- Transfer to a greased and lined spring form baking dish. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Turn heat off but leave the brownies in the oven to continue cooking for 10-15 minutes.
- Allow to cool before slicing.
- Serve with additional melted Alter Eco dark chocolate and/or coconut yoghurt.
Love these chocolate beetroot brownies?
Then you will love our sweet potato brownies! Equally rich, fudgey and delicious.