Looking for a healthy Christmas treat to make for those with dietary requirements? Or just those looking for healthier alternatives? Look no further than these delicious gingerbread chocolate chip cookies.
Not only are they gluten free and refined sugar free but they are also vegan and nut free! Ticking all boxes. For the flour, we’ve used a blend of buckwheat flour and oat flour. If you can’t find oat flour, you can make it yourself simply by grinding gluten free oats.
For the chocolate chips we use Alter Eco vegan dark chocolate. Alter Eco packs all the intensity of the darkest dark bar with the smooth, creamy bite every chocolate lover craves. If you’re feeling adventurous you can swap out the dark chocolate for one of their other flavours like salted almond or burnt caramel. As long as it’s Alter Eco you can’t go wrong!
If you love this recipe, you’ll also love our gingerbread toffee truffles (recipe on our app – available for iPhone and Android!). It’s practically the same recipe just in a different form and with the addition of Amazonia Toffee Truffle protein. This is an optional ingredient but highly recommend as it does create the delicious toffee flavour and enhance the nutritional profile.
Gingerbread chocolate chip cookies
1 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp filtered water
1 1/2 cups oat flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla bean powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 tbsp coconut butter, melted
1 tbsp hulled tahini
100 grams Alter Eco vegan dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Combine chia and water in a small bowl, mix and set aside to allow chia seeds to swell.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Then add soaked chia seeds, maple syrup, coconut butter and tahini. Mix well (it is easiest to use your hands).
- Gently stir chocolate through the mix and then shape into cookies.
- Place on a greased and lined baking tray and bake for approx. 10 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Serve and enjoy.