Our take on traditional Indian vegetable samosas! These are made using Jimalie coconut wraps which can be purchased at most health food stores.
For the filling of these coconut vegetable samosas, we use dried organic Australian grown chickpeas. These need to be soaked overnight and then boiled before they can be added to the vegetable mixture. We find these offer greater taste as well as superior nutritional value. Alternatively, you can use organic tinned chickpeas which are pre-cooked.
8 coconut wraps*
1 cup cooked chickpeas**
250g kumera, diced
250g pumpkin, diced
1 red onion
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2/3 cup filtered water
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp coriander powder
1/2 medium sized red chilli
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
*We use Jimalie Coconut wraps
**We use dried organic Australian grown, these need to be soaked overnight and then boiled for approx. 1 hour. Alternatively, you can use tinned organic chickpeas.
- Braise onion in coconut oil for approx. 3 minutes.
- Add diced pumpkin, kumera, chill, water, lemon juice and spices (except fresh ginger and coriander), mix, cover and gently simmer over low heat for approx. 40 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Add grated ginger, fresh coriander leaves and cooked chickpeas to vegetable mix, simmer for a further 5 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Place approx. 1/4 cup of the vegetable mixture on coconut wrap sheet and fold into a triangle.
- Repeat this process for remaining wraps.
- Place in oven and bake for approx. 3 – 5 minutes, or until golden and crispy around the edges.
- Serve with tzatziki, fresh mint, lime, cumin and/or chilli flakes (optional).
Big sweet potato/kumera fan? Try our sweet potato-peanut curry next!