There are so many amazing healthy cafes and restaurants in London. During my time on exchange, I made it high priority to try as many as possible and here are my top picks!
We hope this list of the best London cafes will be helpful for anyone visiting London, or for any London locals.
Redemption was one I stumbled across accidentally very early on and I am so glad I did. Every menu item I tried was delicious so you really can’t go wrong! In saying that, I would highly recommend that whatever you get, order a side of the sweet potato and coconut yoghurt – it might sound strange but trust me, it works! They also have a great range of delicious alcohol-free ‘cocktails’ AND a great brunch menu. Hands down one of the best London cafes.
It was so great (and a little dangerous!) having Wild Foods located so close to my uni. It has a huge selection of raw and vegan food, as well as some cooked meal options. The famous Ayurvedic Salad has so much goodness in it and is so delicious (pictured below). They also have a great selection of gluten, dairy and refined sugar free desserts – I love their raw chocolate ganache tart and banoffee pie. They also offer an amazing thick chai hot chocolate in the cooler months – the ultimate winter warmer.
This is an absolute must for any porridge lovers. They have just about every porridge flavour you could imagine, including a few savoury options. I love their Blueberry Bay Cacao porridge (which is served with a big dollop of almond butter!) and their butternut squash and sticky black rice bowl… not exactly porridge but it is great for lunch – so nourishing. Their menu changes often so these particular items may not always be available but it is always great!
There is always a wait to get into Mildred’s but for good reason! It is a 100% vegetarian restaurant in the heart of Soho. It’s one of those menus that is just impossible to choose from because you just want to eat everything! I tried their stir fried vegetables with brown rice and tofu (and a bite of my friend’s sweet potato curry) and they were both absolutely amazing. I think you can’t go wrong here! I would recommend arriving as soon as they open because they do not take bookings.
Juice baby has the most delicious selection of fresh juices and superfood smoothies I have ever come across. My ultimate favourite is the ‘nut butter fudge’ smoothie made using their homemade almond butter… It is so thick so keeps you feeling full! They also have a great Acai bowl and delicious takeaway salads – my favourite is the ‘holy kale’. All gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free (including sweet treats!)
Another very popular one – it is usually pretty packed. I am obsessed with their ‘goodness bowl’ – it is great when you’re feeling indecisive because it has just about everything in it! Most of their menu items are vegetarian and they have loads of gluten free options.
Sitting in Grangers & Co makes me feel so at home (Fellow Australians would know it as ‘Bills’). Bills is one of my favourites at home so I had many farewell dinners there before leaving to go on Exchange… so you can imagine my excitement when I stumbled across the same restaurant with the exact same menu on the other side of the globe! I love their dinner menu items, particularly the yellow fish and pumpkin curry. Make sure you allow some time to wait as it is very popular, particularly for weekend brunch – if you’re not on a strict gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free diet, you may have to treat yourself to their famous ricotta pancakes! One of the best London cafes AND Sydney cafes!
Wok It is a hole-in-the-wall style cafe with a great selection of noodles (buckwheat and sweet potato noodles, rice noodles, zucchini/carrot noodles, etc.) which you can then customise with your choice of protein, vegetables and sauce. I love their rice noodles with salmon, broccoli, snap peas and miso-coriander sauce. It is delicious! The serving sizes are very generous so you may want to share with someone or just make sure you’re hungry before you go! It is located right in the heart of borough markets so you get to enjoy the buzzy atmosphere, right by the iconic thames.
202 is one of my favourite local cafes. It isn’t a raw or vegan cafe, however it does have a number of healthy options. I love their ‘healthy breakfast’ of poached eggs, avocado, spinach and tomato on rye toast (pictured below). The delicious food, great atmosphere and idyllic location makes it a very popular brunch spot so make sure you allow some time to queue!
- Daylesford Organics – so many different locations throughout London with lots of local, fresh produce to purchase as well as a beautiful homewares store and cafe.
- Planet Organic – my favourite place to go grocery shopping. It has everything you could possibly need as well as having a great selection of ready meals and fresh juices. I love their turmeric dhal with brown rice.
- Wholefoods Market – for anyone else who actually really enjoys grocery shopping, you will absolutely love wholefoods. It is so big that you could almost get lost in it! The one on High St Kensington has a ‘fast-food’ level above the store with a great noodle bar and delicious brown rice and quinoa sushi.
- Borough Markets – the best place to buy your fresh fruit and veg. Apart from the food being amazing, I just love the atmosphere at Borough markets, it is always bustling. The stallholders are lovely too, and so passionate about the produce/products they are offering.
- Detox Kitchen, Regent Street – It is great when you are craving some really fresh and healthy salads for lunch. They have a delicious selection in their regent street store (the cacao bliss balls are also amazing!) and they also now stock some takeaway salads in Planet Organic!
- Duck & Dry – If you’re looking for somewhere to get your hair washed and styled, why not get it done on the famous Kings Road whist eating a delicious acas bowl or green smoothie… Such a treat!
- Content Beauty and Wellbeing – Content has an extensive range or organic skin care and hair care products. The staff are also very friendly and knowledgable so if you have any questions, this is the place to go!