This cheezy truffle polenta with crispy kale, mushrooms and pine nuts is the perfect side to accompany one of our mains. It is great served with fish or a tofu dish for a vegan option.
This recipe is vegan, using nutritional yeast to create that delicious “cheezy” flavour.
What is polenta?
Polenta is primarily complex carbohydrate (including dietary fibre), is gluten free and contains a number of nutrients including iron, zinc, Vitamin B6, carotenoids and a modest amount of protein. Vitamin B3 is low in polenta, however this is corrected for this dish by the addition of nutritional yeast, mushrooms and kale. The addition of cashews and nutritional yeast improves protein component and provides Vitamin B12 (as long as fortified nutritional yeast is used).
Further protein is added with sesame seeds, which also contain a good source of calcium and other minerals.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch shallots, finely chopped
- 1 bunch kale or cavalo nero, chopped
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 5 cups cashew milk
- 1 cup organic, wholegrain cornmeal
- 400 grams shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 150 grams sweet potato (cooked and pureed)*
*We recommend boiling the sweet potato first and using a high-power blender to puree.
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (B12 fortified)
- Truffle oil (to drizzle)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Braise shallots in 1 tbsp olive oil over low-medium heat for approx. 5 minutes.
- Add chopped kale and cook for a further 5 – 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Remove from stove and place on baking tray, sprinkle with sesame seeds and place in oven for 30 minutes or until crispy.
- Meanwhile, bring cashew milk to a boil. Gradually add cornmeal and whisk vigorously.
- Reduce heat and continue to stir regularly for 20 minutes.
- When almost cooked, place mushrooms in pan with remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and cook approx. 5 minutes.
- Stir pureed sweet potato through the polenta, add salt and nutritional yeast. Stir over low-heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer polenta and sweet potato to a bowl and top with crispy kale, mushrooms and a drizzle of truffle oil.