This root vegetable and fennel soup is a great entree or a light and healthy main dish. It is so easy to make and guarantees you are getting your recommended veg intake!
After cooking the vegetables on the stove, you simply transfer all ingredients to a blender, select the pre-set soup functionality on the dial, whiz and voila! The blender is so powerful it can even heat the soup so you can serve immediately. It is delicious garnished with coconut yoghurt.
4 (entree size)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 brown onions, chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, chopped
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 medium parsnips, chopped
- Himalayan salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground nigella seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- Heat olive oil in heavy based pan. Add onion and fennel, braise approx. 5 minutes.
- Add water, chopped vegetables, salt, pepper and nigella seeds.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for approx. 30 minutes (or until vegetables are soft).
- Add grated ginger, stir through and continue cooking on low heat another few minutes.
- Place liquid and vegetables into Mod Blend Pro blender and whiz until smooth.
- Serve immediately with hot, crusty bread and garnish with coconut yogurt (or greek yogurt), nigella seeds and fresh sprigs of fennel tops.
In need of some more soup recipes to survive the winter?
Try our Carrot and Sweet potato soup – it’s a serious crowd pleaser!