It has been a while since we took part in #pancakesunday so last weekend decided it was time for a comeback. This had us seriously questioning why we ever stopped…
The pancakes are “caramel” flavoured with a date/tahini/mesquite blend to create that sweet taste we all love. Then they are drizzled with a decadent raw chocolate sauce (or our homemade choc-tahini sauce) and sprinkled with our homemade hazelnut ‘crumble’. So together it has all the elements of a caramel slice, just in a very deconstructed kind of way.
1/2 heaped cup buckwheat flour
3 tbsp Pro Plenish marine collagen
1 tbsp mesquite powder, optional
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder
2 organic eggs, separated
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup raw cashews
3/4 cup filtered water
4 medjool dates
1 1/2 tbsp hulled tahini
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
1 tsp coconut oil, to cook
1/4 cup hazelnuts
2 tbsp shredded coconut
2 medjool dates
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp cacao powder
1 tbsp hulled tahini
1 tbsp coconut nectar
Boiling water, add until desired consistency is reached
- Firstly prepare the hazelnut crumble. Combine all crumble ingredients in a blender and briefly blend until it forms a ‘crumble’ like consistency, set aside.
- Then make choc-tahini sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix until smooth, set aside while you make the pancakes.
- Combine buckwheat flour, baking powder, vanilla and mesquite powder in a large mixing bowl, mix well.
- Then combine all remaining ingredients (except egg whites) in a blender, blend until smooth.Add to dry mixture, mixing well.
- Beat egg whites until firm peaks form and then gently fold into the pancake mixture.
- Place coconut oil in a non-stick pan and allow to melt over low-medium heat.
- Add a small amount of the pancake mixture and leave to cook for 1-2 minutes (or until bubbles start to form).
- Flip and allow the other side to cook for another minute or so.
- Repeat this process for the rest of the mixture.
- Stack pancakes and serve with a drizzle of choc-tahini sauce and hazelnut crumble.
- Serve and enjoy.