One of my favourite things about winter is that brussels sprouts are in season and in plentiful supply. They are a great side dish to accompany your choice of protein. These tamari brussels sprouts are the perfect side dish to any of our Asian inspired main, for example our sesame crusted tuna recipe.
As well as being delicious (when cooked properly), brussels sprouts are loaded with health benefits. Find out more about the health benefits of brussels sprouts and the entire cruciferous vegetable family here.
To enhance the protein value we’ve served this dish with roasted cashew nuts.
TAMARI BRUSSELS RECIPE
4 (as a side)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp tamari
1/4 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
200 grams brussels sprouts
1/4 cup cashews (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Combine all ingredients (except brussels and cashews) in a small mixing bowl, mix well to create a marinade.
- Place approx. 1/2 the marinade in a non-stick pan. Cut brussels in half, add to pan and gently cook (flat side down) until lightly browned.
- Transfer brussels to baking tray, add cashews and remaining marinade to evenly coat the brussels and bake for 30-40 minutes (turning every 10 minutes) or until crispy. Timing will vary depending on oven and size of sprouts.
- Serve as a side dish with your choice of protein.