Sweet potato wedges
Serves 6-8 (as a side).
3 medium sweet potatoes
2 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
1 tsp Himalalyan salt
2-3 tbsp harissa paste
- Preheat oven to 195 degrees C.
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into ‘wedges’.
- Place in a mixing bowl with olive oil, salt and harissa, mix until the sweet potato wedges are well coated.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and arrange the sweet potato in a single layer.
- Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Allow to cool briefly, serve and enjoy.
What are the benefits of cooking with coconut oil?
Coconut oil not only enhances the flavour of our thick cut kumera chips (as well as many of our other recipes), but is a great choice for cooking due to its heat stability. Higher temperature tolerance means that the oil is less susceptible to damage. The heating process can alter the chemical structure of fats, rendering them a ‘transfat’, the most dangerous type of fat we can consume as they are not recognized by the body.
The type of fat in coconut oil is used primarily for energy production, rather than fat stores, meaning that these fats can actually assist with weight loss.
Contrary to popular opinion that coconut oil is a saturated fat to be avoided, this oil can improve HDL/LDL cholesterol ratio, improve thyroid function and facilitates fat-soluble vitamin absorption. In addition, coconut oil has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties.
Note: Coconut oil is also great to apply topically for the skin (and for a hair/scalp treatment). We like to keep a jar in the bathroom as well as the kitchen!