With Easter just around the corner, it’s time to whip up a batch of these healthified chocolate chip hot cross buns.
This recipe was created a few years ago in collaboration with @coconutandbliss. It’s been a necessity every Easter since.
We’ve used spelt flour so it is low in gluten, however if you are looking for a completely gluten free alternative you can substitute spelt for all-purpose GF flour.
1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup warm cashew milk
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch cardamom
- Pinch vanilla bean powder
- 1 organic egg
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil (+ 1 tsp)
- 100 grams dark chocolate
- 1 tsp yeast
- Combine yeast, coconut sugar and warmed cashew milk in a large mixing bowl. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add flour, spices, vanilla, coconut oil, egg, roughly chopped chocolate and mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Briefly knead the dough using a floured board.
- Lightly grease a mixing bowl with 1 tsp coconut oil and place the dough in the bowl. Cover and set aside for approx. 1 hour (this allows the mixture to expand).
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C, fan-forced.
- Divide into 10 equal portions and roll into balls.
- Arrange on a tray lined with baking paper and sit for about 10 minutes.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx. 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden and risen.
- Remove from oven and set aside for a few minutes.
- Place the coyo or cashew cream in a piping bag and draw crosses on the buns.