Coconut caramel slice that is not only refined sugar free, gluten free and vegan, but it is also NUT FREE. A rarity in the raw treat world!
This recipe was contributed by the lovely sisters Kath and Jade, behind the beautiful Instagram @panaceaspantry. Their flawless IG page showcases their delicious vegan recipes from hearty mains to decadent desserts. Between the two, they have qualifications in naturopathy, nutrition, herbal medicine and photography so they are most definitely a force to be reckoned with! This is evident after a quick scroll through their drool-worthy Insta feed.
50 grams flax seed meal
1 1/4 cups shredded coconut
1/4 cup cacao
Pinch good-quality salt
6 medjool dates, pitted
2-3 Tbsp rice malt syrup
2 cups medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup hulled tahini
1/4 cup rice malt syrup
1/2 tsp good-quality salt
1/4 cup coconut milk
100 grams dark chocolate
1 tbsp coconut milk
1. Add flax meal, coconut, cacao and salt to a high-speed food processor. Pulse until combined. Add dates and 2 tbsp rice malt, and pulse to form a sticky base.
2. Press mixture into the base of preferred cake tin (I used a 15cm square one).
3. Add all caramel ingredients to a high-speed blender, and blend until very smooth. You will need to scrape the sides at least one.
4. Pour over your base layer, smooth with a hot spoon, and set in the freezer while you make the choc top.
5. Add chocolate and coconut milk to a heat-proof bowl and melt over simmering water. Once melted pour onto of caramel base.
6. Allow to set in the freezer for at least 4 hours. To serve, remove from freezer and cake tin. Use a very hot knife to slice into desired serves. Store in an air-tight container.