Truffle Infused Mushroom Risotto
1 cup brown rice
100 grams baby spinach leaves
1 bunch Shallots
1 punnet (approx. 200grams) organically grown Shitake mushrooms*
1 punnet (approx. 200grams) organic swiss brown mushrooms
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 1/2 – 2 cups filtered water
2 tbsp black truffle oil (or to taste)
Grated parmesan cheese (to taste)
Parsley and/or micro herbs
Himilayan sea salt and pepper (to taste)
* Try to obtain organic forest/log grown shitake mushrooms as some are grown on saw dust blocks. This involves a lot of artificial processing including addition of chemicals and significantly lower nutrient content.
- Place brown rice in a saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- Then, reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until rice is soft and all moisture absorbed (add more water if required).
- When the rice is almost ready, sauté chopped shallots with coconut oil for approx. 5 mins.
- Then, add sliced mushrooms and sauté for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Combine cooked brown rice with the mushroom mix.
- Meanwhile, wilt the spinach and stir through the risotto, seasoning with freshly cracked pepper and Himilayan sea salt.
- Add in parmesan cheese and 1 tbsp truffle oil, roughly mix through.
- Serve and top with a drizzle of truffle oil and parmesan cheese (to taste) and garnish with parsley/micro herbs.
Note: We use this method as cooking mushrooms for a shorter amount of time reduces nutrient loss.