Red spice soup
Serves 4 (as a starter)
1 large red onion
1 red capsicum
1 large carrot
250 grams kumera
200 grams butternut pumpkin
400 grams tinned organic tomatoes
2 small red chillies
40 grams (approx.) fresh grated turmeric root*
3-4 cups filtered water (this can be varied according to how thick you would like your soup)
1 tbsp coconut oil
Pinch of Himalayan rock salt
*We have used grated fresh turmeric root for this recipe, however powdered forms (preferably organic) can also be used. Try to use a low heat in cooking to minimize loss of nutrients.
Note: Turmeric can stain clothing and surfaces so use caution.
Greek yoghurt (or coyo for a dairy free alternative)
- Braise onions in 1 tbsp of coconut oil on low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in chopped chilli, diced capsicum and chopped carrot and stir for 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the kumera, butternut pumpkin, filtered water, grated turmeric and pinch of salt.
- Simmer for approx. 20 minutes.
- Then, add in tinned tomatoes and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Place the ingredients in a blender or vitamix and blend until smooth.
- Warm up on the stove (avoid using microwaves) and serve.
- Garnish with greek yoghurt (or coyo, for a dairy free alternative), parsley, mint, and chilli flakes.