Our immune system, when working as it should, is our defence system, working hard to protect us against disease causing viruses and bacteria.
During the cooler months of the year, we need to give our immune systems a bit more love to help keep us in good health.
The reality is we are constantly surrounded by ‘germs’, however whether or not we succumb to the illnesses varies according to our current state of health. Many can relate to a time when they were stressed, for example, and then became ill.
Here are a few quick tips for boosting immunity!
- Wash your hands. This may seem to be stating the obvious, however microbes can live for some time on surfaces, so it is particularly important after being in public areas, using public transport etc.
- Ensure sufficient nutrients in the diet, i.e. Vitamin C… This is a water soluble vitamin and not stored, so regular intake is important. Oranges contain a good dose of Vitamin C or you can try adding Amazonia “Raw prebiotic C” powder to your smoothies for additional immune and digestive support.
- Stress is a big enemy to the immune system; try to employ good stress management strategies.
- Adequate rest is required to recover fully if we do come down with a virus. After such illness, the immune system is depleted leaving us susceptible to other viruses and/or bacteria, so convalescence is important. ‘Soldiering on’ does not benefit you, your work colleagues or friends.
- Have on hand Amazonia’s Raw ‘Flu fighter’ or ‘chest & cough kick’ herbal sprays. At the first sign of a cold virus, for example a sore throat, using this can minimise symptoms and sometimes even avert the virus before it has time to replicate. Increase Vitamin C intake, drink lots of fluids including hot lemon and manuka honey and if possible, rest.