Lemon and tahini bliss balls
1 1/2 cup almond meal (or sesame flour)
1 cup desiccated coconut (+ extra to roll)
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup hulled tahini
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, mix until well combined.
Arrange into small balls, rolling in desiccated coconut.
Cover and store in the fridge.
What are the health benefits of tahini?
Tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds, best known (nutritionally) for its high calcium* content, however these seeds are also a good source of Vitamin B1 as well as other minerals, such as magnesium, manganese, iron, zinc and selenium. Sesame seeds also contain fibre and are low on the glycaemic index. All of this translates to health benefits such as …
- Healthy blood sugar regulation
- Bone health
- Phytosterol content helps to lower cholesterol
- Promotes cardio-vascular and respiratory function
- Beneficial for sleep
- Healthy nervous system
- Selenium and other minerals are important components of antioxidant compounds
* Please note that calcium content varies depending on whether or not tahini is made from hulled sesame seeds. Non-hulled sesame have a higher total calcium content, however the form of calcium needs to be taken into consideration. That is, the calcium in the hulls is in the form of calcium oxalate, which is more difficult to absorb, and should be avoided in those wishing to reduce oxalate consumption.