Kale on toast may not sound too appetising… but pair it with some basil pesto, shallots and goats cheese and you have yourself a delicious meal for anytime of the day.
We love making this kale and pesto toast recipe for a quick, simple and nutritious dinner. It contains minimal ingredients and takes less than half an hour to prepare.
4 slices of rye bread, we use Sonoma (substitute with gluten free if desired)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small bunch shallots
1 medium bunch kale, finely chopped
1 cup filtered water (add more as required)
120 grams goats cheese*
150 grams basil pesto, we use Pasta Emilia
Roasted pine nuts, sliced avocado and sprouts to serve (optional)
*To make vegan, substitute with silken tofu
- Sauté chopped shallots in olive oil for approx. 1 minute over low-medium heat.
- Then add kale and water, toss in olive and shallot mix.
- Cover, reduce heat and allow to steam for approx. 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow kale mixture to cool slightly and then stir through pesto and goats cheese.
- Spread the mixture on your toast and top with roasted pine nuts, sprouts and/or avocado.
- Serve and enjoy.
Want to know the health benefits of the trending leafy vegetable, kale?
- Broad spectrum anti-oxidant content
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Provides protection against chronic illness such as cancer and arterial disease
- High macronutrient profile, particularly Vitamins A, C and K
- Good levels of calcium and magnesium
- Assists in metabolic processes such as immune function and bone density
- Contains phytonutrient compounds such as indole-3-carbinol, assisting in detoxification processes
All the more reason to try this kale and pesto toast recipe we say!