3 of my biggest weaknesses in 1 decadent dessert: medjool dates, dark chocolate and peanut butter. For the chocolate we use Alter Eco 90% dark chocolate which perfectly balances the sweetness of the dates. We recommend serving with crushed hazelnuts and a sprinkle of sea salt.
These chocolate coated dates couldn’t be easier to make or more delicious. A serious crowd pleaser!
What are the health benefits of medjool dates?
Dates frequently appear in our cakes and desserts as our sweetener of choice. This is because the whole fruit is used, capturing fibre and nutrients as well as its sweet properties.
Here are some of the nutritional benefits of dates:
- Dietary fibre, for colon health and improving cholesterol HDL/LDL ratio
- Good source of iron, for healthy red blood cells allowing oxygenation to cells in the body
- Contain a number of other essential minerals including, calcium, magnesium, manganese and copper, required for numerous biochemical functions including making powerful endogenous anti-oxidants
- Combination of beta-carotene, vitamin A, lutein and zeaxanthin in dates all provide anti-oxidant benefits and particularly benefit eye health and vision, protecting against macular degeneration
- Contain vitamins including B group vitamins and vitamin K
Chocolate coated dates
- Remove the pits from all the dates and spoon approx. 1 teaspoon of peanut butter into the centre of the each date.
- Dip the dates in melted chocolate and place on a lined plate. Transfer chocolate coated dates to the freezer for 15-20 minutes or until chocolate has set.
- Top the dates with a pinch of sea salt and crushed hazelnuts (optional).
Looking for more quick & easy delicious dessert recipes like these chocolate covered dates?
Try our Chocolate Peanut Butter Bark next! Just 2 ingredients.