Making your own granola is a great healthy habit to establish. It is so easy and tastes even better than most store-bought varieties if you ask us! Supermarket alternatives are also often sugar laden – another reason why it is beneficial to make it at home. That way you know exactly what is going in your food and how much. We’ve used a small amount of pure maple syrup to sweeten as an alternative to refined sugars. It is delicious served with coconut yoghurt and/or your choice of plant based milk. It is also delicious as a smoothie bowl topping!
What are the health benefits of chia seeds?
Chia is considered a superfood due to its high nutrient to calorie ratio and high anti-oxidant status. Additionally it is a gluten free whole food with some stand out nutritional benefits, including:
- Exceptional source of both soluble and insoluble fibre (approximately 40%). This assists with healthy bowel function and creates a conducive environment for the proliferation of ‘friendly’ gut bacteria, supporting immune function.
- One of highest plant sources of omega 3 fatty acids, essential for brain health, heart health as well as reducing inflammation.
- Good source of protein, containing all eight essential amino acids.
- Creates sense of satiety due to gel like expansion when mixed with fluid, thus may assist with weight loss.
- Assists blood sugar regulation and maintenance of energy levels.
- Good source of minerals, including, calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium and phosphorus.
Chia seeds are easy to add to almost any meal to add nutrients. We find bircher a particularly good way to add chia to the diet as this meal is traditionally soaked overnight, allowing swelling of chia, assisting with digestion and ensuring enough liquid is consumed. If seeds are not pre-soaked, it is important to drink plenty of water.
ALMOND CHIA GRANOLA
- 2 cups organic quick oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup buckinis
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup raw almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Spread granola over a lined baking tray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, turning every few minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Serve with your choice of plant based milk and/or fresh fruit.