Even though all of our desserts are made without flour, we wanted to make a cake to resemble the traditional flourless chocolate cake. I love how light and spongey flourless cakes are, and I LOVE how rich and chocolatey this one is!
We have used organic, raw honey as a sweetener. We find the quantity suggested in the recipe provides ample sweetness (we sometimes use only 1/4 cup) but you can adjust according to desired sweetness level.
For those of you with nut intolerances, flaxseed meal is a great substitute for almond meal, which would make this a nut-free dessert… And we know how hard they are to come across. We are currently working to create more nut-free variations of our recipes, so stay tuned!
We highly recommend serving this cake with our homemade raspberry coulis (recipe can be found in our ‘basics’) and Coyo.
1/2 cup cacao powder
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Once combined, add in melted coconut oil, honey, water, vanilla bean paste, chia seeds and egg yolks and mix until all ingredients are incorporated
- Beat egg whites until firm peaks form
- Gently fold egg whites into the mixture
- Pour into a greased* and lined circular baking tin
- Place in the oven and bake for approx. 20 minutes
- Turn onto a cooling rack and leave to cool for a few minutes
- Serve with our homemade raspberry coulis (recipe in our basics), fresh raspberries and coyo (coconut yogurt).
*Grease using a small amount of coconut oil