It has been a while since we took part in #pancakesunday so last weekend decided it was time for a comeback. This had us seriously questioning why we ever stopped…
The pancakes are “caramel” flavoured with a date/tahini/mesquite blend to create that sweet taste we all love. Then they are drizzled with a decadent raw chocolate sauce and sprinkled with our homemade hazelnut ‘crumble’. So together it has all the elements of a caramel slice, just in a very deconstructed kind of way.
One reason we can be reluctant to switch up our breakfast (we have acai 99% of the time)… is that we don’t like to miss out on our daily intake of ProPlenish collagen. We’ve had it every day for over six months and really can’t believe the difference it has made to the health of our hair, skin and nails.
We then had the idea to add it to our pancake mix (it is heat stable so nutrients are not depleted) which worked a treat! It doesn’t alter the taste at all and we just feel so good knowing we have had our fix. For more information about why we are so obsessed with this product read our collagen blog post here.
We hope you enjoy this recipe, please tag us on Instagram @healthsynergy if you decide to give them a go! We would love to see.
1/2 heaped cup buckwheat flour
3 tbsp Pro Plenish marine collagen
1 tbsp mesquite powder, optional
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder
2 organic eggs, separated
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup raw cashews
3/4 cup filtered water
4 medjool dates
1 1/2 tbsp hulled tahini
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
1 tsp coconut oil, to cook
1/4 cup hazelnuts
2 tbsp shredded coconut
2 medjool dates
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp cacao powder
1 tbsp hulled tahini
1 tbsp coconut nectar
Boiling water, add until desired consistency is reached
- Firstly prepare the hazelnut crumble. Combine all crumble ingredients in a blender and briefly blend until it forms a ‘crumble’ like consistency, set aside.
- Then make choc-tahini sauce. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix until smooth, set aside while you make the pancakes.
- Combine buckwheat flour, baking powder, ProPlenish collagen, vanilla and mesquite powder in a large mixing bowl, mix well.
- Then combine all remaining ingredients (except egg whites) in a blender, blend until smooth.Add to dry mixture, mixing well.
- Beat egg whites until firm peaks form and then gently fold into the pancake mixture.
- Place coconut oil in a non-stick pan and allow to melt over low-medium heat.
- Add a small amount of the pancake mixture and leave to cook for 1-2 minutes (or until bubbles start to form).
- Flip and allow the other side to cook for another minute or so.
- Repeat this process for the rest of the mixture.
- Stack pancakes and serve with a drizzle of choc-tahini sauce and hazelnut crumble.
- Serve and enjoy.