Black rice has a delicious nutty flavour, similar to that of brown rice, and is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. We love this healthy variation of the more traditional sushi rolls, that are generally made with white rice and sugar vinegar.
Feel free to get creative with your choice of sushi fillings! We love to keep it simple with avocado, cucumber and sesame seeds, or for a more substantial meal, we love adding sashimi grade tuna.
We recommend serving with organic tamari sauce, wasabi and fresh ginger, as well as a side of Matcha tea – a great accompaniment to Japanese food, while also providing further antioxidant support.
1 cup black rice
2 tbsp sushi vinegar or brown rice vinegar
1 tbsp tamari
2 tsp raw honey
4-5 toasted sushi nori sheets
3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Cook black rice as per instructions of your chosen brand
- Combine sushi vinegar, tamari and raw honey in a small bowl and mix
- Whilst the rice is cooking, add the tamari-honey mixture and stir though
- Place nori sheet on a flat surface or a rolling sheet, ensuring shiny side is face down
- Thinly and evenly spread the rice over 3/4 of the surface, leaving the 1/4 furthest away from you empty
- In the middle of the spread rice, arrange sliced avocado, toasted sesame seeds or your choice of fillings (be careful not to overfill or it will be difficult to roll the sushi)
- Gently lift the edges of the nori sheet closest to you and begin to roll away from yourself
- Once rolled, moisten the ends to seal
- Using a very sharp knife, cut into small pieces
- Repeat this process for all sushi rolls
- Serve with tamari sauce, ginger, wasabi and/or fresh chilli